About Old West's Farms & the Animals

Monday, November 3, 2014

Homesteading ... It's a family affair!

After many years raising and selling Nigerian Dwarf Goats, it's time to move up to the next level.
Genetics baby... it's all about the udder...the teats... the tata's ... HIGH AND TIGHT.
The goat is to produce goats with an exceptional mammary system.
Much like Bill Clinton is always looking for, but...we are talking goats people.

While my initial herd was good, the herd I am creating is going to be GREAT.
I have watched and waited and watched more until I have found the genetic lines I like most.
This entails going to shows, browsing show results from all of the country, attending Nationals, and just paying attention and being on the look out for winners.
Then you strategically buy ... and buy ... and sell ... and buy more.
That is when funds are available.
Which being homesteaders is... hit or miss.
Thankfully, I have a day job that keeps me busy and most of the time, brings in decent money.
So we will begin showing, God willing, in 2015. We have a lot of work to do before then, but we
are an ever growing, ever evolving homestead.

More news from the homestead:
My husband is now homesteading full time!! Yay~ EEEK~ this will be great ~ oh my gosh ~
I may have some mixed emotions about that, but this is what we are going with for now.
So 2015 could potentially be a train wreck or great. Only God knows!!
So now we need to focus on how the farm can bring in additional income.
We had some agricultural experts come out and asses our land for what would be best to farm.
They recommended feeder chickens because they are cheap to purchase, and mature in 100 days.
They also suggested sheep, meat goats and a few pigs.
Me "so you want me to raise them, then kill them"?
Yes, apparently that is what they want me to do ... and I could ... I think ... kill them, well cull them.
BUT, is that what I really WANT to do?

For now we are focusing on goats. Then goat milk, butter, cheeses, soaps...etc...
Then in summer, organic veggies, and possibly pork, or rabbit to sell with those veggies...eeekkkkk

Don't say it, I already know... worst homesteader ever that is mushy about killing animals for their meat.
Actually, I have this rooster that I would boil up in a second. I just have to, well you know, kill him.

So here are a few of my new goaties. More to come!!



No comments:

Post a Comment